Com. BIMAN BASU
- Born, Kolkata, 1st July, 1940
- Joined political and social activities from the days of school. Participated in election campaign during an assembly bye-election in 1954, while still in school. Though recommended for Party in 1957, was granted only in 1958 as the minimum age requirement was 18 years.
- Joined in the movement against Bengal-Bihar merger in 1956 and food movement in 1959 and imprisoned in 1958.
- Secretary, Bengal Provincial Students’ Federation, Kolkata district and Vice-President of BPSF in 1964.
- Worked Asst. Secretary, Indo-Vietnam Solidarity Committee in mid-sixties.
- 1st All India Secretary of Students’ Federation of India in 1970.
- Member, State Committee, Communist Party of India (Marxist) in 1971 & Secretariat member in 1978.
- Permanent invitee in Central Committee, CPI(M) in 1983.
- Member, Central Committee in 1985.
- Member, Polit Bureau CPI(M) in 1998.
- Visited Soviet Union, Bulgaria, China, Cuba, Vietnam, Japan & Bangladesh as delegate and private visit to UK, USA and other countries.
West Bengal University of Health Sciences
West Bengal University of Health Sciences came into existence on 1st January, 2003. It is an affiliating university and ensures proper and systematic instruction, training and research in Modern System of Medicine, Homoeopathic System of Medicine, Ayurvedic System of Medicine, Unani System of Medicine, Nursing Education, Pharmacy Education, Dental Education, Education on Laboratory Technology, Physiotherapy, Speech Therapy and other paramedical courses.
List of Colleges affiliated under The West Bengal University of Health Sciences, Kolkata
1. Medical College, Kolkata
2. NRS Medical College, Kolkata
3. R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata
4. Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata
5. Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research, Kolkata
6. Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan
7. Midnapore Medical College, Midnapore
8. Bankura Sammilini Medical College,
9. North Bengal Medical College, Siliguri
10. College of Med. & JNM Hosp., WBUHS, Kalyani
11. KPC Medical College, Jadavpur
1.Bangur Institute of Neurology, Kolkata
2.School of Tropical Medicine, Kolkata
3.Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Kolkata
4.Chittaranjan Seva Sadan Sishu Sadan & College of Obst. & Gynae., Kolkata
5.Institute of Child Health, Kolkata
6.All India Institute of Hygiene & Public Health, Kolkata
7.Vivekananda Institute of Medical Sciences, Kolkata
8.Dr. B.C. Ray Memorial Children Hospital, Kolkata
1. Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College, Kolkata
2. North Bengal Dental College, Siliguri
3. Gurunanak Institute of Dental College & Research, Panihati